Another JAMB Drama, Staff Claims Scratch Cards Got Burnt In Accident


The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) on Monday revealed that another of its staff lied that the scratch cards given to him for sale got burnt in an accident.

However, Jamb Board discovered that there was no such accident as the cards were used.

We had a case where one of the staff said he had an accident on his way and the scratch cards got burnt, but only for us to discover that they were used because they all had serial numbers. Dr. Fabian Benjamin said.

This is coming on the heels of the claim by a staff, Philomena Chieshe, that a snake swallowed the N36 million she made from the sale of recharge cards.

Speaking on the developments, the spokesman of JAMB, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, said the story that a snake swallowed the proceeds of the recharge card by Chieshe, who is attached to the Makurdi, Benue State office of the Board, is a case of cock and bull.

Benjamin said the dimension was introduced to cover a pure case of criminality and fraud by the staff.

    He said: “The story was a mere invention.

    “There was no snake anywhere to have swallowed the money.”

    He said Chieshe told JAMB Registrar, Dr. Ishaq Oloyede, and his team that she could not account for N36 million she made in previous years before the abolition of scratch cards.

    He said in the course of interrogation, Chieshe denied the allegations that she stole the money, but confessed that her housemaid connived with another JAMB staff, Joan Asen, to “spiritually”, through a snake, steal the money from the vault in the account office.

    Benjamin said: “It is natural for the office to account for what they have after the sale of scratch cards has been stopped and we discovered that lots of money was missing in Markurdi and other offices.

    “There are procedures in the civil service. "So the whole thing is still under investigation.

    “She was queried, she appeared before disciplinary committee, although she confessed that money was missing and a snake swallowed it.

    “Unfortunately, she is calling one Joan’s name, which did not appear in the investigation at all.

    “Joan only recommended a house help for her.

    “Of course, the management did not believe the story.

    “She is just trying to put an excuse forward.

    “These are things the Registrar is trying to unravel to put the board on the right footing.

    “We had a case where one of the staff said he had an accident on his way and the scratch cards got burnt, but only for us to discover that they were used because they all had serial numbers.”